Earlier today, Engadget was first to confirm what LEGO has teased since last week on an awesome ‘new play experience’. Since then, LEGO has released tons of information about this highly anticipated play set. Check out TLG’s official press release, official photos and product description, and cool demo videos that went live via Facebook just a few hours ago at the high profile, tech event at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas, Nevada. Somewhat like a smaller cousin of the LEGO Mindstorms, the LEGO Boost Creative Toolbox (17101) is expected to hit store shelves during the second half of this year and will retail at $159.99.
LEGO® BOOST BUILDING AND CODING SET UNVEILED AT CES EMPOWERS CHILDREN TO BRING THEIR LEGO CREATIONS TO LIFE
Building on the company’s history of merging digital programming and physical building, LEGO® BOOST will inspire a younger generation to build and code their way to limitless play.
Today the LEGO Group announced LEGO® BOOST, a supercharged building and coding set that lets children bring their LEGO creations to life by adding movement, sound and personality. Unveiled at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, Nevada, LEGO BOOST will be previewed to members of the global media at Digital Experience on January 4 and will be demonstrated to CES attendees as part of the Kids@Play Kids & Technology Marketplace from January 5-8, 2017 at the Sands Expo. With a suggested retail price of $159.99 (USD), LEGO BOOST will be available in the second half of 2017.
Build the creation you want
LEGO® BOOST combines the endless play opportunities of a traditional LEGO set with an endless variety of movement and sound capabilities made possible through an easy-to-use, app-based coding environment. LEGO BOOST has been developed for children ages 7 and older by an international team of LEGO designers. Using familiar LEGO elements and simple coding language, LEGO BOOST delivers an intuitive approach and opportunities for quick success.
Powered by a Move Hub, a LEGO stud-covered brick with built-in tilt sensor upon which children can add LEGO elements, motors and a sensor that combines color and distance detection, LEGO BOOST brings movement to any LEGO creation. The set includes building instructions for five diverse models; Vernie the Robot, Frankie the Cat, the Guitar 4000, the Multi-Tool Rover 4 (M.T.R.4), and the Autobuilder, each designed to give children the basic building and coding skills needed to express their creativity by personalizing whatever they build.
We know that children dream of bringing their LEGO creations to life, and our chief ambition for LEGO BOOST is to fulfill that wish. Once children build a LEGO creation, we give them simple coding tools to ‘boost’ their models by adding personality,” said Simon Kent, design lead for the LEGO Group. “We want children to first and foremost have a fun and limitless play experience, adding the coding opportunity is the means to get there.”
Coding brings your creation to life
LEGO® BOOST introduces children to coding through a free downloadable app that contains the guidance, building instructions and simple coding commands to bring to life five LEGO creations, one at a time. Much like building with LEGO bricks, children build behaviors and actions by linking digital coding blocks in an easy-to-understand horizontal layout. To further personify the experience, LEGO BOOST lets children add voice recordings to their creations, adding personality without requiring spelling and typing. The app also includes more than 60 activities designed to inspire additional building, coding and play.
LEGO® BOOST includes:
3 BOOST bricks:
- Move Hub with built-in tilt sensors
- Combination color & distance sensor
- Interactive motor
843 LEGO® elements
Playmat, calibrated to the app, designed to facilitate mini challenges to practice simple coding trials.
LEGO BOOST App
Free, downloadable app is iOS and Android tablet compatible.
LEGO BOOST uses 6 AAA batteries. Alkaline batteries are recommended, but rechargeable batteries can be used, though may result in weaker power output.
LEGO BOOST will be available at most stores and online shopping sites where toys are sold, through select consumer electronics retailers, and at LEGO Stores and shop.LEGO.com in the second half of 2017 and will have a suggested retail price of $159.99 USD $159.99 (EUR) and $199.99 (CAD). For more information, visit http://www.LEGO.com/BOOST.
OFFICIAL PRODUCT INFORMATION
LEGO Boost Creative Toolbox (17101)
Combine the versatile LEGO® building system with advanced technology to boost your creativity with the awesome LEGO BOOST Creative Toolbox. Download the free tablet app to your device and follow the step-by-step instructions to build and code any of the 5 multifunctional models. Experience Vernie the Robot—a moving and talking robot; the M.T.R.4 (Multi-Tooled Rover 4)—a robust, versatile rover with 4 different tool attachments including a spring-loaded shooter; the Guitar4000—a musical instrument with pitch bend and sound effects; Frankie the Cat—an interactive pet that plays, purrs and expresses its mood; or the AutoBuilder—an automated production line that really builds miniature LEGO models! Bring your creations to life with the app’s intuitive, icon-based coding interface and complete an array of exciting activities designed for each model. This set also includes a playmat for use with specific activities, and a LEGO BOOST wall poster!
Take your LEGO® play to the next level with the amazing LEGO BOOST Creative Toolbox. Build and code interactive, motorized robots, models and creations with distance, color and tilt sensor technologies.
- Includes over 840 LEGO® pieces, plus a LEGO Move Hub, Interactive Motor and a Color & Distance Sensor.
- Move Hub features Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) connectivity, two encoded motors, activation button, internal tilt sensor and a light.
- Interactive Motor is an encoded motor.
- Color & Distance Sensor detects distance, motion and color, and can also function as a light.
- Check out the cool white, orange and blue color scheme.
- Rotate Vernie’s head to activate its shoulder-mounted spring-loaded shooter.
- Build the M.T.R.4 (Multi-Tooled Rover 4) and try out the different tool and customization attachments to prepare the vehicle for an array of exciting activities.
- Learn how to play a song and rock out with the Guitar4000.
- Look after your own pet with Frankie the Cat. Be sure to feed it the right food—or it might get upset!
- Construct, code and operate the AutoBuilder to produce real miniature LEGO® models.
- Build and code robots and models, and complete exciting activities with the playmat and intuitive LEGO® BOOST app, available for iOS and Android tablet devices.
- Easy-to-use intuitive software with icon-based drag-and-drop coding interface.
- Building instructions for all 5 models are included with the free LEGO® BOOST app.
- This product requires batteries (not included). Please refer to the product packaging for type and quantity.
- Vernie the robot stands over 10” (27cm) tall.
- M.T.R.4 (Multi-Tooled Rover 4) measures over 4” (12cm) high, 9” (23cm) long and 5” (14cm) wide.
- Guitar4000 measures over 1” (5cm) high, 16” (42cm) long and 5” (15cm) wide.
- Frankie the Cat stands over 6” (17cm) tall.
- The AutoBuilder measures over 10” (27cm) high, 7” (19cm) long and 6” (16cm) wide.
VIDEO DEMO OF THE LEGO BOOST CREATIVE TOOLBOX (17101) AT CES, NEVADA.