Since its debut at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) at the start of this year, the LEGO Boost Creative Toolbox (17101) set has proven to be quite popular as a sort of an ‘entry’ set if you wish to learn more about brick-built robotics. Largely similar to its more advanced cousin, the LEGO Mindstorms EV3 (31313), LEGO Boost is specifically designed with younger robotics and computer whiz kids in mind. Combining endless LEGO play with tech savvy coding, children ages 7 and above gets to create five diverse models: Vernie the Robot, Frankie the Cat, the Guitar 4000, the Multi-Tool Rover 4 (M.T.R.4), and the Autobuilder. Each model is specifically designed to accomplish a particular task where kids can learn basic building and coding skills that will challenger their creative problem-solving skills and imaginative play.
At the start of this month, LEGO has officially announced that the LEGO Boost Creative Toolbox (17101) is now available for pre-order, retailing at $159.99, and will be available to public on August 1. It’s a whole lot cheaper than the latest LEGO Mindstorms EV3 which is kind of great if you are just beginning in to LEGO robotics.
Here’s a look at its complete product description, plus a cool designer video that shows off the five models that you can build with the LEGO Boost. Credit goes to Promobricks for uploading this video.
LEGO Boost Creative Toolbox (17101)
Combine the versatile LEGO® building system with advanced technology to boost your creativity with the awesome LEGO BOOST Creative Toolbox. Download the free tablet app to your device and follow the step-by-step instructions to build and code any of the 5 multifunctional models. Experience Vernie the Robot—a moving and talking robot; the M.T.R.4 (Multi-Tooled Rover 4)—a robust, versatile rover with 4 different tool attachments including a spring-loaded shooter; the Guitar4000—a musical instrument with pitch bend and sound effects; Frankie the Cat—an interactive pet that plays, purrs and expresses its mood; or the AutoBuilder—an automated production line that really builds miniature LEGO models! Bring your creations to life with the app’s intuitive, icon-based coding interface and complete an array of exciting activities designed for each model. This set also includes a playmat for use with specific activities, and a LEGO BOOST wall poster!
- Includes over 840 LEGO® pieces, plus a LEGO Move Hub, Interactive Motor and a Color & Distance Sensor.
- Move Hub features Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) connectivity, two encoded motors, activation button, internal tilt sensor and a light.
- Interactive Motor is an encoded motor.
- Color & Distance Sensor detects distance, motion and color, and can also function as a light.
- Check out the cool white, orange and blue color scheme.
- Rotate Vernie’s head to activate its shoulder-mounted spring-loaded shooter.
- Build the M.T.R.4 (Multi-Tooled Rover 4) and try out the different tool and customization attachments to prepare the vehicle for an array of exciting activities.
- Learn how to play a song and rock out with the Guitar4000.
- Look after your own pet with Frankie the Cat. Be sure to feed it the right food—or it might get upset!
- Construct, code and operate the AutoBuilder to produce real miniature LEGO® models.
- Build and code robots and models, and complete exciting activities with the playmat and intuitive LEGO® BOOST app, available for iOS and Android tablet devices.
- Easy-to-use intuitive software with icon-based drag-and-drop coding interface.
- Building instructions for all 5 models are included with the free LEGO® BOOST app.
- This product requires batteries (not included). Please refer to the product packaging for type and quantity.
- Vernie the robot stands over 10” (27cm) tall.
- T.R.4 (Multi-Tooled Rover 4) measures over 4” (12cm) high, 9” (23cm) long and 5” (14cm) wide.
- Guitar4000 measures over 1” (5cm) high, 16” (42cm) long and 5” (15cm) wide.
- Frankie the Cat stands over 6” (17cm) tall.
- The AutoBuilder measures over 10” (27cm) high, 7” (19cm) long and 6” (16cm) wide.