Giving very young children a bath can be one of the most challenging family tasks. Reasons may range from a youngster’s dislike of bathing, period, to their being unable to sit still while being washed. A long-effective means to make young-age bathing enjoyable has been the use of toys. Floating rubber duckies have been longtime all-ages bathtub companions for that reason. Not all toys can be used like so. LEGO bricks certainly won’t work; smaller pieces could easily disappear underwater. What about LEGO’s big little brother, Duplo? Judging from these newly-available sets, they could work.
According to Brick Fanatics, three bathing-themed Duplo sets are now available via LEGO.com online. All of them center on cute Duplo-brick animals that combine with flotation devices shaped like swim rings. These early-age builds are so buoyant that, as seen in the box art, they’ll keep afloat even when poured on. We’ve got an adorable variety of Duplo critters that kiddie builders can choose from. Each set comes with a tiny plastic bucket for them to load water to splash on their floating buddies. The price ranges are pretty chill too, depending on how many floating Duplo-animals you want for your child. Let’s see them:
LEGO Duplo: Bath Time Fun
5 pieces | $9.99
- Developmental bath time fun – LEGO® DUPLO® My First Bath Time Fun: Floating Red Panda (10964) provides playful learning opportunities, bath after bath
- Easy-to-clean bath toy – The playset includes a red panda, bucket and a floating ring that opens up for easy cleaning
- Build skills in the bathtub – Toddlers put 2 bricks together to make the panda, then place it in the floating ring for endless play opportunities
14 pieces | $19.99
- Buildable animals – The playset includes a hippo, duck and polar bear, a bucket, rain cloud and 3 floating rings that open up for quick and easy cleaning
- Developmental fun – Toddlers put 2 bricks together to build each animal, then place them in the floating rings. The toddler-friendly rings connect, disconnect and bubble as they move through the water
20 pieces | $39.99
- Multipurpose bath toy – LEGO® DUPLO® My First Bath Time Fun: Floating Animal Island (10966) is a versatile, easy-to-clean playset featuring an island that doubles as a storage container
- Build, play and learn – The playset includes a fish, octopus, lion and flamingo. A floating island splits into 2 separate floating sections, with the bottom half also allowing play outside the bath
- Imaginative play – Toddlers put together the easy-build animals then have developmental fun on and around the floating island paradise
Earlier this week we featured a certain seasonal LEGO set commemorating a key occasion next month, but already available now. And from the box for LEGO’s Valentine Lovebirds (40522) we got advance notice of another seasonal set. If you noticed that it involves building two animals like 40522, then we’re all onto something. The same deal also applies to some of the newest LEGO BrickHeadz sets launching at the start of February. That coincidentally is also when this seasonal set will become available. As shared by The Brick Fan, LEGO.com now has an online listing for Easter Rabbits Display (40523).
Two Easter Bunnies on a flower field with Easter Eggs galore await collectors who want LEGO’s seasonal set 40523. The fact that there are two bunnies, just as there are two lovebirds, hearkens to LEGO’s “Build Together” campaign. Two main set pieces (bunnies/lovebirds) can be assembled by two builders. which they can combine in the setting base afterwards. It’s even simpler with the upcoming BrickHeadz featuring two buildable character figures making a pair. You might get to experience this “building-together” atmosphere too when Easter Rabbits Display (40523) launches February 1.
288 pieces | $12.99 | coming February 1
Celebrate the Easter season with this adorable LEGO® Easter Rabbits Display (40523) building kit. The set features a white bunny and a light brown bunny sitting together in a spring meadow. The 5 colorful Easter eggs and 3 tulips complete the scene and can be displayed however you choose. Discover the new-for-2022 transparent pink opalescent element included on 1 of the eggs for an extra sweet touch to delight LEGO fans.
The upcoming LEGO Harry Potter set listings are done. Next we have what’s coming next for the general LEGO BrickHeadz line. And if the LHP items will have to wait until the first of March, these BrickHeadz will be arriving earlier. Even better, these are all two-characters-per-one-set deals. No less than three franchises get able representation here. In fact, one of them was already spoiled in December last year. They figured in the back of the box for the solo Buzz Lightyear (40552) BrickHeadz. Now, Brickset found these listings first on LEGO.com Russia. However, as of this writing all major editions of the online LEGO Shop would already have them.
192 pieces | $19.99 | coming February 1
Here’s a treat for fans of Netflix’s Stranger Things TM. These LEGO® BrickHeadz™ Demogorgon & Eleven (40459) buildable figures depict 2 of the series’ most iconic characters. Perfect for display, the figures make a great gift idea for ages 16 and up and come with authentic details, such as the Demogorgon’s opening flower head and Eleven’s waffle and outfit as featured in the series during her escape from the facility.
296 pieces | $19.99 | coming February 1
Hang out with two beloved movie characters by making these LEGO® BrickHeadz™ style buildable Disney and Pixar’s Toy Story and Toy Story 4 figures, Woody and Bo Peep (40553). It’s a clever gift idea for kids aged 10 and up, who will love authentic details such as Woody’s iconic cowboy outfit and Bo Peep’s cute hair bow and shepherd’s crook. With baseplates for display, these awesome construction toys will make a unique addition to any Toy Story fan’s collection.
205 pieces |$19.99 | coming February 1
Prepare for endless hijinks with these LEGO® BrickHeadz™ style buildable figures of Looney Tunes™ characters Road Runner & Wile E. Coyote (40559). The set makes a great gift idea for kids aged 10 and up, who will love the authentic colors and cute, brick-built models. With baseplates for displaying the figures, this awesome little construction toy set will make a nostalgic and eye-catching start or iconic addition to any Looney Toons cartoon fan’s collection.
Perhaps you may still recall that exciting period in mid-December 2021 when a German-language catalog spilled many 2022 LEGO sets. Some of them weren’t even launching with the massive bunch on New Year’s Day, but later on. While the catalog preview was nice, they don’t quite match the official air of a LEGO.com product listing. And it just so happens that the online LEGO Shop has started putting up those catalog items this week. We’re going to delve into these reveals now. To begin, here are LEGO Harry Potter’s latest as shared by Brick Fanatics.
Hogwarts Moments Series
297 pieces | 3 minifigures | $29.99 | coming March 1
LEGO® Harry Potter™ Hogwarts™ Moment: Divination Class (76396) is an instant playset inside a brick-built playbook packed with popular characters and familiar features from Professor Trelawney’s Divination classroom, for ages 8+.
- Pick up and play – LEGO® Harry Potter Hogwarts Moment: Divination Class (76396) is a handy-sized, brick-built playbook that opens to reveal a Hogwarts classroom packed with play possibilities
- Authentic details – Includes Harry Potter, Parvati Patil and Professor Trelawney minifigures and cool accessories including an armchair, desk, student chairs, a crystal ball, teacups and a cupboard
- Magical fun – Kids open the cover to enter Professor Trelawney’s Divination lesson and use the magical supplies to look into the future with Harry and Parvati
257 pieces | 3 minifigures |$29.99 | coming March 1
- Magical play possibilities – Inside the LEGO® Harry Potter™ Hogwarts™ Moment: Defence Class (76397) playbook is a classroom filled with features to inspire imaginative role play
- Hogwarts™ classroom – Includes Mad-Eye Moody, Hermione Granger™ and Neville Longbottom™ minifigures, plus lots of authentic accessories, including a blackboard, trunk, potion bottles, desk and chairs
- Captivating fun – When kids open their LEGO® playbook, they instantly enter Professor Moody’s Defence Against theDark Arts lesson. Next door is his office, with a trunk containing mini-Moody!
- Just like the movies – The Mad-Eye Moody minifigure transforms into Barty Crouch Jr. by turning his head and replacing the hair. The trunk contains a microfigure decorated as the real Mad-Eye Moody
510 pieces | 4 minifigures | $49.99 | coming March 1
- Perfect for Harry Potter™ fans – LEGO® Harry Potter Hogwarts™ Hospital Wing (76398) is packed with role-play fun, from treating injuries in the infirmary to time-travel adventures in the clock tower
- Popular characters – Includes Harry Potter™, Hermione Granger™, Ron Weasley™ and Madam Pomfrey minifigures, plus a buildable Hospital Wing and clock tower with authentic accessories
- Many ways to play – Kids can recreate the iconic hospital-wing time-travelling scene from Harry Potter™ and the Prisoner of Azkaban™ and conjure up endless enchanting stories of their own
LEGO gifts-with-purchase sets run the gamut from common and easily-acquired, to being uncommonly rare. The latter group goes beyond merely being in-store exclusive for instance, but rather because their availability becomes highly situational. Now, since 2012 LEGO’s been presenting GWP sets available only during the openings of their new Branded stores. The building set depicts, naturally, a brick-built LEGO Store as well, with new iterations introduced every few years. Given how uncommon new LEGO branded stores open worldwide, their accompanying GWPs are limited too. With the retirement of the most recent LEGO Brand Store set (40145), a new version was previewed at last year’s end.
And according to German LEGO news source Promobricks¸ building instructions for the new LEGO Brand Store (40528) are now available. They can be found, as usual, in LEGO.com’s Building Instructions portal. As you can see in the box image, we’ve a fully-enclosed build for the next GWP exclusive for new LEGO Store openings. It doesn’t even feature a single minifigure, but has a sticker sheet included for added details. The introduction of this LEGO Store (40528) GWP couldn’t come at a better time. The previous set 40145 was already in low quantity even before retirement this year.
In fact, 40145’s scarcity the reopening of LEGO’s branded store in Bonn, Germany used another LEGO Store set as GWP. Said micro-scale set (40305) is actually a retail version, still listed at LEGO.com (20% off) but currently sold out. For any new branded LEGO Stores opening this 2022 and beyond, GWP set 40528 is what to expect. Of course, those new stores should open near you if you want a shot at collecting this item. As you know, being a GWP it comes free with a minimum total LEGO purchase.
You’ve got to love sometimes how retailers sometimes reveal LEGO’s hand before any official product announcements. Towards the end of last month, last year, we got European retailers listing possible LEGO sets in advance. They might be “expected” sets like an alleged upcoming LEGO Marvel buildable character model. Or they might be all-new products from a licensed IP that LEGO hasn’t done before, like “Horizon Zero Dawn.” In any case, these super-early “reveals” are great even if we must consider them rumors prior to official LEGO updates. Speaking of which, we have another one, updating from earlier rumors from late 2021.
Brickset reports that a possible image for a long-rumored LEGO Creator Vespa set appeared in promo images of another set. Said images came from the Creator High-Speed Train (40518), seen first in Hungarian online retailer Kocka. Note that a Creator Vespa set rumored to become a GWP was numbered 40517, one digit off. The image showed a red brick-built Vespa alongside the High-Speed Train and past Creator sets. The Creator London Bus (40220) is there alongside Creator Yellow Taxi (40468) and Tuk Tuk (40469). It looks like a LEGO Creator public transport set showcase. Said image also doesn’t appear in 40518’s official LEGO.com listing.
But if Creator High-Speed Train (40518) is already listed, what about this red Vespa, potentially GWP set 40517? Did LEGO postpone or cancel it similar to their latest Marvel Mech Armors? We could certainly use some clarifications, especially considering there’s another rumored Vespa set. Regarding the larger, potentially Creator Expert Vespa (10298), we heard no further speculation. At least for the moment, the January 1 LEGO product launch blitz isn’t making collectors miss much.
We wish a belated Happy New Year to our readers here in The Brick Show. And with that out of the way, let’s get right into what’s new with LEGO this 2022. In this early part of the New Year we have special occasions that warrant seasonal LEGO set releases. One traditional event to look forward to is Valentine’s Day next month. As expected, LEGO already has its relevant seasonal set ready in advance. In fact the item’s available now on LEGO.com online. The set box also gives us a nice advance hint on what more to expect later on.
Courtesy of The Brick Fan, we present LEGO’s Valentine’s Day 2022 seasonal set, Valentine Lovebirds (40522). Just about 298 pieces are all you need to make some cute brick-built lovebird parrots in a valentine motif. We get colorful simplicity in the same mold as many other seasonal LEGO sets at just $12.99 a box. LEGO’s giving lovey-dovey collectors a great head-start for their Valentine’s Day shopping, making 40522 available now. So why not shop early for February 14 by getting this set now? In addition, you’ll even get a sneak peek at the next notable seasonal LEGO set for 2022.
Remember the BrickHeadz Buzz Lightyear set (40552) spotted on LEGO.com Malaysia last mid-December? At the back of the box LEGO showed off its follow-up: a two- BrickHeadz bundle of Woody and Bo Peep (40553). LEGO’s Valentine Lovebirds (40522) does much the same thing. Expect the 2022 Easter seasonal, Easter Bunnies (40523) sometime in February/March, depending on when 40-day Lent starts.
298 pieces | $12.99
Delight your loved ones with this romantic LEGO® Valentine Lovebirds 40522 building kit. The adorable lovebirds sit on a branch decorated with pink hearts and flowers, while the big red heart symbolizes their love. This sweet set is the perfect way to express love for your Valentine and makes a great anytime gift for a special person.
Seasonal Easter Bunnies (40523) inset
We at The Brick Show are always appreciative of our various sources for LEGO news and info. And when new resources on all things LEGO appear, all better for variety. For example, earlier this month we found images of 2022 LEGO polybags from brickdex.io, a recently-launched German price comparison site. Earlier still, as November 2021 ended we got official word from LEGO for their next Chinese Zodiac seasonal set. However, being a toy-safety declaration, that document sported only a grainy image of Year of the Tiger (40491). Thanks to brickdex, we have clearer official images.
So here we have it, the LEGO seasonal Chinese Zodiac set for Year of the Tiger (40491) in 2022. Also revealed is the number of pieces absent from the box: 193. Beyond that tidbit and the pictures, we still know little about the set especially in terms of the GWP price threshold. Much like its predecessors, this LEGO zodiac tiger may well be a gift with purchase. Previous sets had an average $80/85 and above minimum total LEGO purchase to acquire. A popular theory from The Brick Fan proposes that for Year of the Tiger, the GWP threshold would be $88. In Chinese culture, the number 8 is lucky; double the 8, double the luck.
That is just some speculation, but everything else about LEGO Year of the Tiger (40491) mentioned above is real. We can expect this set to be slotted into the upcoming January 2022 LEGO Store Calendar. Just keep watching this space.
The end of a year and the beginning of the next is a period home to three major holidays. First is Christmas, followed by two New Year’s celebrations, the Western one and the Lunar, or Chinese one. But in terms of gift-giving connotations, Christmas and Chinese New Year bear greater prominence in the West and East respectively. It’s no surprise therefore that LEGO has been releasing seasonal sets to commemorate these occasions. We’ve seen their latest Christmas and CNY sets already. The former have had their heyday, while the latter are coming soon. However for the UK/Europe and Asia-Pacific, LEGO Chinese New Year has arrived.
Indeed, as reported by Brickset, both East and West – or part of it, can now purchase LEGO’s CNY 2022 sets. Lunar New Year Traditions (80108) and Lunar New Year Ice Festival (80109) launched this past Sunday, December 26. Such early availability is a testament to Chinese New Year tie-ins having become a major LEGO selling point worldwide. Both sets also make great sources of new unique minifigures: 12 from 80108 and 13 from 80109. Their home market and Europe can enjoy these sets if desired. North American collectors however have to wait until January 10.
In UK/Europe, LEGO Lunar New Year Traditions (80108) is priced £59.99/€69.99, while Lunar New Year Ice Festival (80109) is £89.99/€99.99.
While product listings by LEGO online are definitive sources of “new set” details, it never hurts to gain advanced info. These earlier-than-official peeks can be found sometimes at retailers around the world, especially if they have websites. Sometimes all we get are names, numbers and possible SRP, but knowing ahead of LEGO’s reveals has advantages. For example, two weeks ago we saw the first images of several LEGO Marvel tie-ins from a German retailer. They’re for the “Spidey and His Amazing Friends” animated series. Now, LEGO has listed the same items online according to The Brick Fan, but we have faces to the details.
Now’s no better time than any to review what we know of these “Spidey and His Amazing Friends” sets. At age 4+, they’re perfect for the young audience of that superhero animated show on Disney Junior. Let’s have a look at the official LEGO entries:
59 pieces | 2 minifigures | $9.99
- Fun, anytime reward – Treat little Super Heroes aged 4 and up with the LEGO® Marvel Miles Morales: Spider-Man’s Techno Trike (10781) playset from the Disney+ Spidey And His Amazing Friends TV series
- Fun LEGO® Marvel gift idea for kids aged 4 and up – Creative impulse buildable toy treat for little Super Heroes who love all things Spider-Man
- Lots in the box – Includes a trike and glider with movable wings, plus 2 LEGO® Marvel minifigures. Green Goblin has a changeable head with differentexpressions
- Save-the-day playset – Kids can propel Spider-Man’s crime-fighting partner Miles Morales on his trike to chase Green Goblin’s glider and bring it down by catching him in a red web
110 pieces | 3 minifigures | $19.99
- Gift for kids who love vehicles – LEGO® Marvel Spidey And His Amazing Friends Hulk vs. Rhino Truck Showdown (10782) comes with 2 LEGO vehicles, 3 minifigures, a Spider-Man jet pack and a bank vault
- Spidey and Hulk stop Rhino in his tracks – Kids and grown-ups will love the smashing action as the two monster cars clash and Spidey flies in to trap Rhino in his web and save the day
- Birthday gift for preschool kids – This LEGO® Marvel gift comes with a Starter Brick and simple building guide so youngsters aged 4 and up can learn to build and develop creative confidence
- Feature packed – The buildable Hulk toy has 2 changeable heads with different expressions, Spider-Man’s jet pack fires missiles, and the vault has a removable box that fits into Rhino’s truck’s trunk
131 pieces | 3 minifigures | $29.99
- Packed with play starters – LEGO® Marvel Spidey And His Amazing Friends Spider-Man at Doc Ock’s Lab (10783) comes with 3 minifigures, a robot spider, lab scene, buildable truck toy and an action mech
- Save-the-day play – Kids join forces with Spider-Man and Ghost-Spider as they race to rescue Trace-E from evil Doc Ock’s lab, which includes a prison cell and robot for catching Super Heroes
155 pieces | 5 minifigures | $49.99
- A star cast of Super Heroes – Comes with Spider-Man, Ghost-Spider, Miles Morales, Ms. Marvel, and super villain Green Goblin minifigures, plus Trace-E, the Ghost Copter and a 2-in1 Goblin car
- Spider-Man set for creative play – Kids can shoot hoops with Spider-Man, dance with Ghost-Spider, make art with Miles Morales, play video games with Ms. Marvel, or trap Goblin in a buildable web
- Details bring the play to life – Creative accessories, such as a pumpkin trick, pizza, guitar, 2 webs with strings, brush paint, palette and ball spark hours of endless fun