The long wait is finally over. After many weeks of teasing on the arrival of the largest ever LEGO Ideas set to date, Hasan Jansen of the LEGO Ideas blog site has finally broken the news. As LEGO’s 2nd Ideas set for this year right on the heels of Adventure Time (21308), the LEGO Ideas NASA Apollo Saturn V (21309) will be available to the public beginning 1st of June. The brainchild of LEGO and space fans Felix Stiessen (saabfan) and Valérie Roche (whatsuptoday), the towering set (standing one meter high) is their personal tribute to NASA’s iconic Apollo Space Program.
This space-bound set clocks in at 1,969 pieces which is, quite cleverly, a sort of an Easter egg for Apollo Saturn V’s successful launch on July 20, 1969. At such scale, the LEGO Ideas NASA Apollo Saturn V (21309) is currently the largest LEGO Ideas set that will be offered to the public. The LEGO Ideas Design Team was keen in rendering the set as accurately as possible, keeping it at an approximately 1:110 scale of the original Saturn V rocket with all its offload sections, lunar lander, command service module, and three, never-before-seen microfigs of NASA’s heroes: astronauts Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin, and Michael Collins.
The LEGO Ideas NASA Apollo Saturn V (21309) will retail for $119.99 in the US and £109.99 in the UK. Here’s the set’s product description courtesy of Hoth Bricks.
Build the first rocket to land people on the Moon!
Display and role-play with this majestic meter-high LEGO® brick model of the NASA Apollo Saturn V packed with authentic details. It features three removable rocket courses, including the S-IVB third course with the lunar lander and lunar orbit.
The set includes 3 booths to display the model horizontally, 3 new-for-June-2017 astronaut microfigures for role-play recreations of the Moon landings, plus a booklet about the manned Apollo missions and the fan designers of this educational and inspirational LEGO Ideas set.
- Features a meter-high (Approximately 1: 110 scale) model of the NASA Apollo Saturn V with a removable S-IC first rocket internship with hand rocket engine details, removable S-II second rocket internship with rocket engine details, removable S-IVB third rocket internship with the Apollo spacecraft and rescue rocket at top of the whole spacecraft, plus 3 booths to display the model horizontally.
- The Apollo spacecraft features the lunar lander and the lunar orbiter.
- Also includes 3 new-for-June-2017 astronaut microfigures.
- Great for display and role-playing the manned Apollo Moon missions.
- Includes a booklet about the Apollo manned Moon mission and the fan designers of this set.
- This set includes over 1,900 parts.
- Measures over 100cm high and 17cm in diameter.