Here’s another delightfully unexpected news coming from the LEGO Harry Potter front. In what seems to be an accidental listing over at LEGO Shop@Home Japan portal (the said listing has been taken down as of this posting), eagle-eyed fans caught glimpse of what seems to be this year’s largest LEGO HP set. Coming in at more than 5,000 pieces, the new LEGO Harry Potter Diagon Alley (75978) set is slated to arrive soon.
If you recall back in 2011, LEGO has released it’s first, should I say, comprehensive rendition of the famous Harry Potter marketplace coming in at 2,025 pieces. This LEGO Harry Potter Diagon Alley (10217) consists of smaller brick builds of famous stores such as Ollivander’s, Borgin and Burke’s, and Gringott’s Bank. As impressive as this direct-to-consumer (D2C) set back during that year, there are still plenty of fascinating shops that we wish could have been included.
And after 9 years since its debut, it looks like we will be having our next LEGO version of this magical marketplace with an impressive piece count of 5,544 pieces. We do not have official images yet of this set understandably, but based on its now removed listing, we can expect the following shops to be included in this set: Ollivanders Wand Shop, Flourish & Blotts bookseller, Scribbulus Writing Implements, Quality Quidditch Supplies, Florean Fortescue’s Ice Cream Parlor, The Daily Prophet, and my personal favorite Weasleys’ Wizard Wheezes. Though it would be nice if LEGO included a rehashed version of Gringot’s for good measure, I think with 7 shops included in this modular set, I certainly don’t have any qualms against it.
Here’s what we can find from the now-taken down description of the new LEGO Harry Potter Diagon Alley (75978). This set is expected to have a whopping price tag of $399.99 and is intended for builders 16 years old and above. I wouldn’t be surprised though if LEGO will opt to include it under its 18+ collection given its piece count and retail price. Be sure to be on the lookout for LEGO’s official announcement which may happen any time soon. Hopefully, the release of this new brick version of Diagon Alley will be released alongside that of the upcoming LEGO Harry Potter Collectible Minifigure Series 2 (71028) coming in September.
Special thanks also to The Brick Fan for the heads up.
LEGO Harry Potter Diagon Alley (75978)
5,544 pieces | $399.99
Iconic stores packed with authentic movie details
Measuring more than a meter wide, the impressive model captures the scale and ambiance of the bustling magic-supplies hub. Behind magnificent facades lie intriguing interiors, fascinating features, and familiar characters. Check out the wands at Ollivanders™; drop in on Gilderoy Lockhart™’s book-signing event at Flourish & Blotts™ bookseller; obtain a love potion from Weasleys’ Wizard Wheezes™; and peruse the products and paraphernalia at Scribbulus™ Writing Implements, Quality Quidditch™ Supplies, Florean Fortescue’s Ice Cream Parlor and the Daily Prophet™.
- Cool collectible building toys
- The extensive range of LEGO models and playsets provide fans of the Harry Potter Universe with endless imaginative fun and creative display possibilities.
- This large LEGO Harry Potter Diagon Alley (75978) display model gives fans of the Harry Potter movies aged 16 and up a chance to recreate magical London’s most magical shopping street.
- Includes Ollivanders™ Wand Shop, Scribbulus™ Writing Implements, Quality Quidditch™ Supplies, Florean Fortescue’s Ice Cream Parlor, Flourish & Blotts™ bookseller, Weasleys’ Wizard Wheezes™ and the Daily Prophet™ entrance.
- Authentic accessories and familiar minifigures from the Harry Potter™ movies make it possible to create a ‘living model’ with endless possibilities to rearrange and create new narratives.
- This challenging and rewarding construction set makes a great Christmas or birthday gift for kids, Harry Potter™ fans, model enthusiasts, and lovers of LEGO® brick building aged 16 and up.
- Measuring over 11” (29cm) high, 40” (102cm) wide and 5” (13cm) deep, this LEGO® Harry Potter™ Diagon Alley™ set is crammed to the rooftops with authentic details.
- No batteries required. This modular construction set provides a hands-on, fulfilling building experience. Even the famous hat-lifting entrance to Weasleys’ Wizard Wheezes™ is powered by hand.