Our long wait is finally over! LEGO has pulled the veil from one of its closely guarded secrets, and one that I followed very closely since the time that it was submitted as an early LEGO Ideas project. For the first time ever, we now have our first look at the biggest, buildable LEGO mech ever: the LEGO Ideas Voltron (21311) set. Designed by LEGO AFOL extraordinaire, Lendy Tayag from the Philippines, the LEGO Ideas Voltron is inspired by the original 1980s animated Voltron TV series, and the modern DreamWorks Voltron: Legendary Defender series. When completely assembled, this iconic brick-built mech stands at a staggering 15 inches tall and 8 inches wide.
As an added treat to AFOLs and fans of the animated series, LEGO has announced that a limited number of sets will be available for purchase during next month’s San Diego Comic Con. The 2,321-piece set will retail for $179.99 and will be available to the general public on August 1, with early VIP access beginning July 23, 2018.
I have so much to say about the LEGO Ideas Voltron (21311) set since I am a fan of Voltron, and of course, of Lendy himself. I had the privilege of meeting him for the first time during the Philippines biggest LEGO fan convention sponsored by the Philippine LEGO Users Group (PhLUG), and it was one unforgettable experience. I’ll share more about this convention on my next write up, but for now let us enjoy these crisp, clear images followed by the set’s official product description. This is one set that I will not miss.
21311 – LEGO® Ideas Voltron
2,321 pieces | Ages 16+
Available August 1, 2018.
**Limited quantities will be available for purchase first for attendees at San Diego’s Comic-Con (7/17-22)
Let’s go Voltron force in LEGO® style!
It’s time to defend the universe so get ready to form LEGO® Ideas 21311 Voltron, the biggest buildable LEGO mech ever! This awesome set features buildable and highly posable black, blue, yellow, red and green lions with specially designed, extra-strong joints to combine them all and create the Voltron super robot, plus a huge sword and shield that attach firmly to Voltron’s hands. Ideal for display or to recreate thrilling action from the original 1980s animated Voltron TV series and the modern DreamWorks Voltron: Legendary Defender series.
- Features 5 buildable and posable lions that can be transformed and combined to create the giant Voltron super robot.
- Play with the lions individually or combine them using extra-strong joints to form Voltron—the black lion forms the head and torso; the red and green lions form the arms; and the yellow and blue lions form the legs.
- Pose the head, shoulders, arms and wrists of Voltron (legs are not posable).
- Also includes a sword and shield (each with silver-colored elements) that attach firmly to Voltron’s hands.
- Includes a booklet with building instructions, plus information about the set’s fan creator and super force of LEGO® designers.
- This set includes over 2,321 pieces.
- Display or play out exciting stories from the original 1980s animated Voltron TV series and the modern DreamWorks Voltron: Legendary Defender series.
- Voltron measures over 15” (40cm) high, 5” (14cm) long and 8” (21cm) wide.
- Black lion measures over 6” (17cm) high, 8” (22cm) long and 5” (15cm) wide.
- Yellow and blue lions each measure over 3” (8cm) high, 8” (21cm) long and 3” (8cm) wide.
- Green and red lions each measure over 3” (8cm) high, 7” (18cm) long and 1” (5cm) wide.
- Voltron’s sword measures 11” (29cm) long.
- Voltron’s shield measures 6” (16cm) in diameter.