It’s been almost a year since the announcement came out regarding the biggest LEGO Star Wars video game as of to date. And this time around, we now have a release date for the highly anticipated LEGO Star Wars The Skywalker Saga.
Star Wars.com’s official YouTube channel made the announcement earlier today, scheduling the game’s release date on August 20. Check out the video below at the 1:45 mark.
UPDATE: It seems that there has been a slip-up on this one since the video is no longer available for viewing. Oopsie…
As previously announced on their blogsite, the LEGO Star Wars The Skywalker Saga will feature what could be the most expansive video game of the franchise, covering the entire span of all nine Star Wars films. It’s not just a collection of nine distinct video games based on the films, but an integrated whole where players can choose what level or world or episode if you may, and even their favorite Star Wars hero or villain among a roster of almost 500 playable characters.
Jonathan Smith: We’re all fans; there’s no shortage of characters we’d love to play with. And you can’t ask us to pick a single favorite! It’s the fact that the whole cast is brought together, uniquely in this LEGO form — the complete collection, from Admiral Ackbar to Zorii Bliss — which makes the game so special.
Craig Derrick: There are nearly 500 characters in this game, with many of them playable. When choosing characters for a game this large, we just looked at every film in the saga and tried to say “yes” as much as possible. That said, it often comes down to storytelling and the specific role of the character in the quests and game progression. Of course, we have almost all of your favorite heroes and villains from the films, many background players, a few surprises, and…Yaddle!
Needless to say, the LEGO Star Wars The Skywalker Saga will definitely be LEGO and TT Games’ biggest game release of this year. Keep your radars open for more updates, and I’ll keep you posted once pre-orders are around for this game.
LEGO Star Wars The Skywalker Saga Video Game
RELEASE DATE: 2020
DEVELOPER: TT Games
PUBLISHER: Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment
ESRB RATING: RP (E10+ Anticipated)
PLATFORMS: Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch and PC
The galaxy is yours in LEGO® Star Wars™: The Skywalker Saga. In this brand-new console game, players will experience memorable moments and nonstop action from all nine Skywalker saga films retold with signature LEGO humor, including the highly anticipated conclusion to the series, Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker. the game will immerse players in the expansive saga with the freedom to control hundreds of characters, ships and vehicles to create their own unique journey through the galaxy.
• Explore the Saga in Any Order – Players can dive into the Skywalker saga and access any of the nine saga films right away in any order they choose. They can direct where to go and how to play.
• Laugh Out Loud LEGO Humor – All the unforgettable moments from the entire saga have been retold in new, fun-filled, hilarious LEGO humor.
• Play as Iconic Heroes and Villains – There are hundreds of playable characters from throughout the galaxy and every era of the saga. Players can play as Luke Skywalker, Rey, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Finn, BB-8 and a legion of other heroes, or turn to the dark side as Darth Vader, Emperor Palpatine, Kylo Ren, and more.
• Discover Legendary Locales – Players can visit legendary locales from their favorite Star Wars films such as the desert of Geonosis, to the swamps of Dagobah and the snowfields of Starkiller Base. They can then travel through space and revisit any planet at any time. Expansive hub areas based on memorable settings from the films offer fun quests and more to explore.
• Powerful Player Experiences – Players can play on the light or dark side of the Force, master combat, and take control of ships and vehicles for empowering adventures throughout the galaxy.
• Always Family Friendly – This is an imaginative and funny LEGO gaming experience appropriate for kids of all ages. It is an accessible entry point into the Star Wars galaxy that is easy for a younger audience to pick up and play while still deep enough for anyone to enjoy.