These are definitely the LEGO Star Wars droids that you are looking for. After their official reveal in May, and its subsequent listing at LEGO Shop@Home, LEGO uploaded a designer video to celebrate the release of its LEGO Star Wars BOOST Droid Commander (75253) set. The video features an interview with one of their Senior Designer, Carl Merriam, and Steve Geist LEGO’s Senior UX Designer. Watch and listen to what they have to say about this latest LEGO STEM-inspired set.
The video underscores some of the cool features of this latest robotics-powered set. The LEGO Star Wars BOOST Droid Commander (75253) comes in at 1,177 pieces right out of the box to build three of the most iconic droids in Star Wars fandom. However, do take note that the set only contains one Move Hub which allows only one droid to be powered up. If you wish to animate all of these droids, then you have to purchase additional Bluetooth-powered Move Hubs separately.
One of the advantages of working (and playing) with the LEGO Boost system is that it introduces young kids to coding and robotics very much the same with its LEGO Mindstorms counterpart. With over 40 exciting missions, young builders get to solve LEGO Star Wars puzzles while learning the rudiments of computer programming. The BOOST Droid Commander is currently listed and available at shop.LEGO.com and retails for $200 USD. Check out the rest of the set’s details below.
1, 177 pieces; $199.99 USD
A LEGO® Star Wars™ galaxy of droid building, coding and play!
Introduce your Star Wars™ fan to a rich LEGO® brick galaxy of lovable droids, exciting missions and coding fun for kids with the LEGO Star Wars BOOST Droid Commander set. This interactive robot toy puts your child in command of 3 app-controlled Star Wars LEGO droids: R2-D2, a Gonk Droid and a Mouse Droid, each with their own personalities and skills. Using the free LEGO BOOST Star Wars app, your young commander builds the droids, inserts the Bluetooth-controlled Move Hub into the one that will solve each mission, and brings it to life using the intuitive drag-and-drop coding environment (visit LEGO.com/devicecheck for a list of compatible devices). Your youngster then constructs tools, weapons, targets, obstacles and lots more as they progress through over 40 exciting missions – they’ll love it! This set makes a great birthday or Christmas gift or just a gift for any occasion. It also helps youngsters develop their critical thinking and creative problem-solving skills, introduces them to basic engineering and robotics, and, just as importantly, lets them play in a rich and expansive galaxy filled with unforgettable icons like Luke Skywalker, X-wings, the Death Star and many more.
- Kids will learn to code and develop creative problem-solving skills as they play with this interactive STEM toy, featuring 3 buildable LEGO® Star Wars™ droids and over 40 interactive missions.
- This fun LEGO® Star Wars™ tech toy for kids includes a color & distance sensor, interactive motor, Move Hub and 1,177 pieces – enough to build all 3 lovable R2-D2, Gonk Droid and Mouse Droid LEGO figures. Please note that only one robot can be brought to life at a time using the included Bluetooth-controlled Move Hub.
- Buildable props include rocket boosters, a catapult, a cake shooter, a target, color decoder, obstacles and many more.
- Kids aged 8+ will love building the robot toys using the free LEGO® BOOST Star Wars™ app, attaching the tools and weapons, and bringing them to life to solve fun, challenging missions with the easy-to-use coding environment. Visit LEGO.com/devicecheck for a list of compatible devices.
- This great Christmas, birthday or gift idea for any occasion features unforgettable characters, locations, sounds and music from episodes I-VI of the Star Wars™ movie saga, which kids and adults will love to interact with.
- LEGO® brick R2-D2 measures over 7” (20cm) high, 3” (10cm) long and 5” (14cm) wide. LEGO Gonk Droid measures over 7” (18cm) high, 6” (16cm) long and 3” (9cm) wide. LEGO Mouse Droid measures over 5” (14cm) high, 6” (17cm) long and 3” (9cm) wide.
- Free LEGO® BOOST Star Wars™ Droid Commander app is available for selected iOS, Android and Fire smart devices. Ask your parents’ permission before going online.
- Includes LEGO® Light Brick.