Another member is welcomed in the halls of the LEGO Ideas 10K Club and this time its toastergrl from the UK, and her qualifying LEGO Ideas Sonic Mania – Green Hill Zone project. Hot off the heals of the LEGO product idea Bricks & Blooms, the Sonic Mania – Green Hill Zone is our 11th entry that managed to gather the necessary 10,000 LEGO fan votes, enabling it to enter the First 2020 LEGO Ideas Review Stage. This project is based on 2017’s SEGA video game release, Sonic Mania, celebrating our blue blur’s 25th year anniversary.
I never had the chance of having Sonic as a LEGO minifigure, and though I regret the fact that I didn’t immediately grab the opportunity of getting him when his first-ever LEGO set came out in the form of a LEGO Dimensions Level Pack back in 2016, I hope that the Sonic Mania -Green Hill Zone project will provide the opportunity of seeing him again in an official LEGO set.
For the meantime, we have to wait a bit more to see if the LEGO Ideas Review Team will give this product idea a thumbs up, alongside other qualifiers for this year’s First Review Stage: Mary Poppins, Cherry Tree Lane, Tesla Cybertruck, Untitled Goose Game, UCS Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, The Train Station: Studgate, SpaceX Falcon 9, Mini-fig Scale Project Gemini, Retro Bowling Alley, Indiana Jones Trilogy, and Bricks & Blooms.
Check out the features of this set as described by toastergrl:
For the Mania… By the Mania!
Released digitally in late 2017 and expanded on with a physical release a year later, Sonic Mania is many things. An authentic recreation of the timeless gameplay stylings of the ’90s, a stunning showcase of gorgeous pixel art and striking low-poly models, and our first true taste of what Sonic fans, gone pro, can do with the series. With all this under its belt, it’s no surprise the game is still extremely popular even years later. What better way, then, to keep the ultimate celebration of past and future rolling into the franchise’s 30th anniversary in 2021 than by bringing the hedgehog’s adventures to the brick-built world of LEGO?
- “Classic” Sonic the Hedgehog minifigure
- “Classic” Dr. Eggman, Motobug and three Flickies as brick-built figures
- Heavy Gunner and Heavy Magician as brick-built figures
- Green Hill Zone “Palm Tree”, “Spring”, “Bridge and “Loop” modules
- Egg Robot mech
- Phantom Ruby and Ring accessories
- ~700 pieces, with 8 new prints (excluding minifigure parts) and a sticker sheet
Sonic and LEGO are a perfect match; much like our favorite construction toy, the blue hedgehog is hugely popular with kids worldwide. Just as Sonic games give you the tools to take any given act however you want, the only limit with LEGO is your imagination – and to help inspire new adventures, this set has been designed with an alternate “Encore mode” build true to Sonic Mania Plus. Not only that, but both configurations are loaded with reconfigurability and action functions – so that busy hands can keep on returning to this play experience!
- Create your own act by connecting the Green Hill Zone modules together.
- Use the Technic lever on the spring module to launch Sonic and his Flicky friends into the air!
- Help Sonic collect the ring and Extra Life while dodging the Motobug.
- Sit Dr. Eggman inside the Egg Robot mech.
- Stomp through the zone with the mech’s posable arms and legs.
- Use the handle on the mech’s extendable arms to perform a drill attack!
- Stop the Phantom Ruby falling into the clutches of Dr. Eggman and the Hard-Boiled Heavies!
- Rebuild into the “Encore mode” alternate build to continue the adventure – with additional modules, the Heavy King and his lackeys, Master Emerald, and the Tornado!